The modernization of the Hellenic Railways, consisting in securing upgraded infrastructure combined with suitable rolling stock, and its evolution into a modern and competitive means of transport, which will provide high standard services to its users, constitutes one of the primary national development targets of Greece, for both the previous programming periods and the current one.
The target of implementing pioneer railway infrastructure projects for the Greek standards is reflected in the approval of funding by both the 2nd and 3rd CSF, the 2002-2006 Cohesion Fund, the NSRF 2007-2013, the PA 2014-2020 and the Connecting Europe Facility 2014-2020.
A main priority of the Investment Program implemented by ERGOSE is completing the modernization of the main railway axis Patras – Athens – Thessaloniki – Eidomeni / Promahonas (PATHE/P). The Program foresees the creation of a high speed railway axis with increased capacity, equipped with modern signalling, telecommanding, telecommunications and electrification systems, which will comply with the interoperability requirements for European railways, as well as the implementation of investments for the development of freight transport, the main one being the creation of the Thriassio Pedio Freight Station and the connection between major ports and the network.
Specifically, the main projects included in OSE's Investment Program and implemented by ERGOSE are as follows:
- Completion of the Attica suburban railway, Piraeus-Tris Gefires section
- Construction of the new double railway line Athens (SKA)-Patras, Kiato-Rododaphni (Aigio) section
- Construction of the new double railway line Athens (SKA)-Patras, Rododaphni-Rio section
- Construction of the railway installations Complex in Thriassio Pedio
- Completing the construction of the new double high speed railway line, Tithorea-Domokos section
- Completing the construction of a new deviation in the Thessaloniki-Eidomeni line, Polikastro-Eidomeni section
- Completing the installation of signalling–telecommunications in the railway axis PATHE/P.