The project involves the construction of a new double railway line in the section from Athens (SKA) to Kiato, approximately 105 km long, with electrification, telecommanding and telecommunications.
The project is part of the greater project for the construction of the new double railway line (SKA)-Patras and it aims at the following:
- reducing the journey time down to 60 minutes from 110 minutes before the project construction
- modernizing the network from Athens (SKA) to Kiato, with the ultimate goal being the connection with the remaining railway network until Patras.
This will achieve the improvement of the direct connection between Greece and the European Union, through Italy (improvement of combined transport), as well as displacing the traffic load from road to railway transport, in order to reduce traffic congestion in the road network, as well as energy consumption and environmental pollution.
In greater detail, the project includes:
- execution of the necessary land acquisitions
- infrastructure works for the new railway line
- superstructure works all along the railway line, including the procurement of the track materials.
- works for the installation of a modern ETCS signalling and telecommunications system
- works for the installation of electrification
Project Stage: Completed
- Cohesion Fund 1994-1996 & 2000-2006 (infrastructure, superstructure, signalling-telecommanding, telecommunications along the line)
- Operational Program Railways, Airports and Urban Transport (OP RAUT) 2000-2006 & Operational Program Accessibility Improvement (OP-AI) 2007-2013 (track electrification)
- Regional Operational Program (ROP) ATTICA 2007-2013 (construction of Zefiri railway stop)
Project Cost: 620 mil. Euros
Construction start: 1998
Partial Delivery: Section SKA-Corinth: 2005
Fully operational with electrification since December 2010.
Section length: 105 km
Design Speed: 200 kph after Thriassio Pedio
Tunnels: 5 tunnels with a total length of approximately 8,263.91 m
Cut & Cover: 4 Cut & Cover, with a total length of approximately 1,401.48 m
Railway Bridges: 21
Grade separated crossings: 60
Stations/stops: 8 Railway Stations (Ano Liossia, Magoula, Ν. Peramos, Megara, Kineta, Agioi Theodoroi, Corinth, Kiato) and (2) stops (Thriassio Pedio (Aspropyrgos), Zevgolatio) and a new stop at Zefiri RS (to be directly delivered into operation)